Discussion forums were the popular hangouts of people interested in particular topics before blogs became popular. There are discussion forums for every topic. You can join these forums and then comment on the views expressed there.
You can also start a new “thread”, i.e. discussion on an aspect of a topic that has not already been initiated. Other people will then comment on your starting post, creating a thread of discussion.
Forum Posts and Web Traffic
Forums typically allow members to create a signature, i.e. a short profile about you. You can tell people what you do, and include a link to your website in this signature file. Some forums might even allow multiple links.
Your name can link to your signature file and the links might appear as your “signature” with all your posts. The practices differ from forum to forum.
If you consistently provide value through your posts, by being relevant and informative, your readers are likely to click through the links. Such clicks are a source of traffic to the respective sites.
The links can also add to the link popularity of your sites. However, many forums use the no follow tag with the links and Google at least will not count these links.
How to Use Forums
Unlike blogs, most forums require you to register with them before you can comment on posts, not to mention creating your own threads. So you proceed as follows:
- Create an account with the forum with a user name and password
- Login using the name/password
- Read the FAQ of the forum to understand how to:
- Create a signature file and what is allowed in the file
- Comment on posts
- Start a new thread
- Behave properly in the forum; most forums impose rules regarding different aspects of interactions at the forum; if you disregard these, your posts can be deleted and you can even be banned
- Create your signature file with allowed links. Carefully note how to create live links.
- You are now ready to participate at the forum. Look at the different topic categories under which discussions are taking place. Under each category, look at the particular topics that are being discussed. Select a topic that is relevant to you.
- Follow the discussion threads and see whether you can make a valuable contribution. In the beginning, it is better not to jump in with a comment or your own topic. Just “lurk” observing what is going on until you have a good idea about the “culture” at this forum
- When you are ready, use the comment box to enter your views on or reply to the topic under discussion. Because you are logged in, your signature details (including links) will automatically be added to the comment.
- Before you start a new thread, check that it has not already been initiated by someone else. Duplicate threads are frowned upon.
- Be careful to get along well with other community members. Bad mouthing does not provide any value other than giving your ego a boost (and lowering your image in the minds of others).Don’t expect much in the way of link popularity or search engine rank boosts. However, you can expect a flow of traffic to your website if you follow the above rules and post valuable information regularly.
Want Help to Post to Relevant Forums on a Regular Basis?
We at Hyaroo.com can provide full or part time staff to you to work on regular forum posting. The staff person will work under your direction and control, at times indicated by you.
Alternatively, a sister concern webmarketreports.comcan do the forum posting on your behalf, at agreed rates depending on the volume of work involved.